Tuesday, March 26, 2013



Oi Mom and Dad!
Oi means hello. You can also say Ola. I like saying oi because it sets us apart from the spanish speakers! Guys, I am so good. I love it here. I am having a lot of fun and it feels good to be here. Wednesday was crazy awesome. I went in to the main building, got my badge, keys, and schedule. Then I met a Sister host who helped take my bags from the Elder and we went to the MTB bookstore and grabbed all of my supplies. They were not kidding with the 20 lbs. I have so much stuff!! Anyways, dropped my stuff off at my bedroom then made my way over to my classroom. I met a sister then and my teacher who led us down to some computers to watch an orientation. On the way, I saw Sam!!! He is just down the hall from me. He immediately jumped up and hugged me. We made sure that everyone knew we were related. We talked for a little bit and it was so great! I was so happy to see Sam right off the bat. After that we had class for a little bit. Our teacher spoke the whole time in Portuguese. It was really overwhelming. We had dinner and then went to a little meeting for new missionaries. I live with three other sisters in my district and we all are going to Curitiba. My whole district (which is twelve) are all going to Curitiba. Plus we have another district that came in the same day with about 10 more going to curitiba. It is so crazy!! Obviously there is work to be done there. So I really like my district. We are already close and have a lot of fun. The Elders are really cool and really supportive of us. Some are great at the language and really progress well.
So I was having a hard time on Thursday night. It was right after we taught our lesson and I was feeling really discouraged. I cried some that night and was just feeling really overwhelmed and sad. I prayed that night that I would remember why I came on a mission and to feel better the next morning. I really wanted to talk to you guys but I prayed that I would be able to chat with Sam the next day. I woke up feeling a lot better and was able to talk to Sam on Friday (as you know). I am really grateful that Heavenly Father answered my prayers because I didn't see Sam at all on Thrusday.
The lessons are going okay. First lesson that we had with our "investigator", my companion felt we should just go with what happened in the lesson. We had some plans but not a straight forward one. After we prayed with the investigator, my companion just stopped talking, she said later that she wasn't able to say anything but could understand what was being said. I pulled out one of our language books and just began asking him questions. It was hard but it went okay. Next lesson was a lot better on Saturday and then yesterday we had another one. It didn't go as well but I am feeling fine because we both agree that we planned and said what we felt inspired to. I think the hardest thing for me right now is the language. It is hard but I'm trying.
One interesting thing that has been said that this is a missionary training center, not a language training center so we as missionaries need to focus on the gospel and learning it, not the language. I'm trying to do that.
Sunday was great!! Our branch was split because of all the Brazilian missionaries. I loved Sunday becayse we heard from some great speakers. I will write you guys letters about them because there is just no time!!
So when I met with the Branch President on Sunday, I told him about myself. I told him how dad set me apart, I was the first sister missionary in our family ever, my brother was on a mission, and how my sister helped me pay for my mission. He told me I had too much going for me and that I couldn't quit. I had to clarify with him. He said that I cannot just be a good missionary, I have to be a great one! It really motivated me when he said that!! I love my Branch President.
So, I told you how things are a lot better with my companion, well I am really sad because she has called our Branch President because she feels that she needs to leave. We went to the temple this morning and I told her she just needed to go in with questions and have faith that Heavenly Father would answer them. She was really sad because she felt that the answer was for her to go. She doesn't want to but she said that she just knows she isn't suppose to be here anymore. It makes me sad because I wanted to get to know her better.
So I have seen A LOT of friends here! It has been such a treat!! I can't wait to see Chloe tomorrow!!! Iowa Stake Represent!!! I also saw a good friend named Taelor Sandberg. She is from Canada and is going to Canada and Nova Scotia. She left this morning. She was one of the girls I met in Ecuador!! I am so happy that the two girls I really bonded with are both going on missions.
I love you guys so much and miss you. It was hard to say goodbye but I know, I really know that I am to be on a mission. It is such a different feeling being here now on my mission than waiting. It was hard to wait. Now I am willing to go absolutely anywhere to preach the gospel. Everyone deserves the happiness we have!!
Again love you and please send me lots of letters!! I would love to get something every day!!
Chau (bye),
Sister Cropper

1 comment:

  1. Awwww, Mary I love you! Thanks for being such a good example! I love that they told you to focus on learning the gospel. The language will come in time. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete